The GroundTruth Project’s mission is to restore journalism from the ground up by supporting the next generation of journalists through field reporting that serves under-covered corners of the United States and the world. The GroundTruth Project is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected status.
Report for America is a national service program that places emerging journalists into local newsrooms to report on urgent under-covered issues and communities. It is an initiative of The GroundTruth Project, an award winning, independent, nonpartisan, nonprofit news organization dedicated to supporting the next generation of journalists. Report for America is a dynamic, rapidly growing answer to America’s crisis in local news reporting. Report for America is a dynamic, rapidly growing answer to America’s crisis in local news reporting.
Report for the World is an international journalism program that matches local newsrooms with talented journalists to report on undercovered issues around the globe. By creating a more sustainable and impactful media ecosystem, Report for the World informs, engages, and enables communities through public service journalism.
The Director of Development will join a tight-knit Development Team that works collaboratively with colleagues across the organization to initiate, steward and grow philanthropic relationships with institutional, individual and corporate donors.
We seek a candidate who is warm, generous of spirit and deeply passionate about the power of journalism as a public service to people and communities, with an abiding commitment to equity.
Key responsibilities of the role will include:
Donor Prospecting, Cultivation and Stewardship
● Lead a portfolio of established, valued philanthropic partners with a spirit of trust building and transparency.
● Lead a prospect development effort to identify and bring new donors into the organization around key growth areas.
● Hold primary responsibility for the development and execution of proposals in harmony with the organization’s strategic and budget goals.
● Help develop overall fundraising strategy and development communications in partnership with development and cross-department colleagues.
● Support and partner with the Chief Development Officer, as well as the CEO, to engage with the Board of Directors’ Development Committee to work through big questions and tackle ambitious opportunities.
● Help support Board and Advisory Board giving, creating opportune moments for generosity.
Thought Leadership and Events
● Take part in industry and community events in the US, and around the world to further the work of the organization and our partners.
● Create a donor event strategy; co-host donor events, both in-person and virtually.
● Contribute to the larger discourse around journalism in society through earned media.
● Collaborate with the VP of Finance to keep development efforts synchronized with financial forecasting, realities and donor reporting
● Liaise with leaders across teams to maintain a high level of awareness about GroundTruth’s work around the world and to connect our on-the-ground efforts with resources.
● Serve as an organization-wide leader and ambassador for our work, living our values around diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging.
● 7+ years of professional work experience in a mix of frontline fundraising and internal development work for a nonprofit or social impact organization; Experience with philanthropy and development outside of the US a plus
● A track record of building strong networks and relationships that lead to direct philanthropic support and ability/comfort to make direct asks;
● A deep passion for and understanding of our mission to restore local news nationally and globally, and an ability to become a strong spokesperson and advocate for that work;
● An excellent writer;
● Demonstrated experience in donor prospect research and developing well-researched internal memos;
● Demonstrated experience in database management (Salesforce preferred) or content management systems;
● Excellent attention to detail, especially as it relates to handling sensitive information and tracking down data;
● An ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment;
● A customer service mindset that centers our donors as a critical part of our work;
● A sense of humor, creativity, flexibility and high standards in nonprofit excellence.
This position is remote and may be based anywhere in the world, with the expectation of approximately 20% travel. Our anticipated salary is $120k. Interviews will be conducted via video conferencing.