Communications Assistant_GroundTruth Project
Salary Range: $50, 000 - $55,000
The GroundTruth Project is an award-winning nonprofit journalism organization dedicated to rebuilding journalism from the ground up. GroundTruth serves undercovered communities by supporting the next generation of journalists to do on-the-ground reporting and to advance sustainability, innovation, and equity in journalism worldwide. GroundTruth’s flagship programs — Report for America and Report for the World — place talented, diverse local reporters in the newsrooms that need them most.
We are seeking a Communications Assistant for the GroundTruth communications team. This is an entry-level, full-time position that will be responsible for identifying, tracking, and sharing internally and externally, the stories that our corps members are doing for their host newsrooms; creating and preparing communications materials; and helping research and coordinate speaking opportunities for leadership. This position will report directly to the interim Vice President of Communications, working closely with the broader GroundTruth communications team.
This position would handle the mechanics of using media monitoring software and working directly with program staff, newsroom partners, and corps members to track stories (including managing the story database), follow up on a subset that has had an impact, package up and feed this information for various uses, including:
● Social media content
● Publicity and PR
Additionally, this position will:
● Publish newsletters
● Help ensure style and branding compliance
● Provide media relations and social media support
● Seek and support opportunities for representation at conferences, panels, etc.
● Offer administrative support to the communications team, as needed
● An ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment.
● A problem-solving mindset and passion for building things from the ground up.
● A sense of creativity, flexibility, and high standards in nonprofit excellence.
● Must be able to see/understand content on a computer screen in real-time.
● Must be physically able to type/use a mouse in order to update and create content under tight/short deadlines.
● This person will be required to communicate with all levels within the organization.
● Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent combination of coursework/experience) in communications, marketing, or a related field.
● Familiarity with MailChimp, Cision, and Adobe Creative Suite is ideal.
● Bilingual is a plus
Interviews will be conducted via video conferencing. The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other relate duties, as assigned by their supervisor.
The GroundTruth Project is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.The Ground Truth Project is an equal opportunity employer and consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.
The Ground Truth Project believes in fair and equitable pay. Please note that actual salaries may vary within the range, or be above or below the range, based on factors including, but not limited to, education, training, experience, professional achievement, business need, and location.