The GroundTruth Project is an award-winning, independent, nonpartisan, nonprofit news organization dedicated to supporting the next generation of journalists in the U.S. and around the world. Our mission is to advance sustainable, innovative, and equitable journalism that serves under-covered communities worldwide through on-the-ground reporting,
GroundTruth is home to Report for America, a national service program recently recognized as a Top Six Finalist and a scalable, sustainable solution to the crisis in local news by the MacArthur Foundation’s 100&Change competition. In 2021, we also launched a new global initiative, Report for the World, working with local partners in India, Nigeria and Brazil.
GroundTruth’s Development Team is hiring a brand new role — Associate Director for Institutional Giving — as we enter an exciting phase of growth for the organization. This position as a frontline fundraiser is full-time, with remote flexibility for work location, and reports to the VP of Development and Communications.
- Research: Employ best practices in prospect research to identify and engage new foundation and corporate prospects; leverage connections with our senior leadership team and board to expand GroundTruth’s network;
- Cultivation and solicitation: Work closely with the VP of Development and Business Development Officer to execute on GroundTruth’s foundation and corporate giving strategy, building and maintaining a strong and engaged portfolio of institutional donors;
- Stewardship: Identify and implement strategies for keeping our current supporters engaged and apprised of the impact of GroundTruth’s work; provide input and support to our proposal development and grant reporting processes, in close partnership with the Business Development Officer;
- Operations: Maintain accurate donor records, and in coordination with our wider Development Team, ensure we carefully track, acknowledge, and report grants in a timely fashion;
- Support other development functions, especially grant writing, as needed.
- 6-8 years of professional work experience in a frontline fundraising role for a nonprofit or social impact organization, directly interfacing with and engaging foundations, corporation giving offices, and/or government funders;
- A track record of building strong networks and relationships that lead to direct philanthropic support and ability/comfort to make direct asks;
- An ability to prep and coach executive leadership in best practices around donor cultivation and stewardship in coordination with the VP for Development;
- A deep passion for and understanding of our mission to restore local news nationally and globally, and an ability to become a strong spokesperson and advocate for that work;
- Demonstrated experience in donor prospect research and developing well-researched internal memos;
- Demonstrated experience in database management (Salesforce preferred) or content management systems;
- Excellent attention to detail, especially as it relates to handling sensitive information and tracking down data;
- An ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment;
- A customer service mindset that centers our donors as a critical part of our work;
- A sense of humor, creativity, flexibility and high standards in nonprofit excellence.
Interviews may be conducted via video conferencing or in-person.
The GroundTruth Project is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.