The GroundTruth Project, whose mission is to advance sustainable, innovative, and equitable journalism that serves under-covered communities worldwide through on-the-ground reporting, is seeking a Development Associate to join its Development Team.
GroundTruth is home to Report for America and Report for the World, two programs addressing the crisis in journalism in the U.S. and abroad by placing local journalists in the field at scale. Housed within the offices of WGBH in Boston, GroundTruth has a lively headquarters; a prestigious Board of Directors and Advisory Board; a small, talented and dedicated staff, and a timely mission and vision.
The Development Associate will join a fast-growing team and contribute to an ambitious fundraising effort to raise $70 million over the next five years through leading national and regional foundations, corporations, major donors and grassroots campaigns. The Development Associate can be based remotely, or choose to work in our Boston or New York offices, and will report to the Vice President Development and Communications.
This individual is responsible for advancing grassroots giving and supporting the team’s Salesforce database needs. Key responsibilities include:
- Creating several avenues and opportunities for conversion, such as welcome and renewal series; Managing grassroots giving for GroundTruth, including online fundraising campaigns 3-4 times each year, coordination of our annual end-of-year NewMatch campaign, as well as experimentation in direct mail;
- Designing, writing, and developing visually-appealing and creative campaign materials to effectively communicate our programs and impact, in coordination with the Communications team;
- Carefully tracking indicators of campaign success, and presenting analysis on what’s working and where we can improve;
- As the Development Team’s go-to Salesforce expert, liaising with IT and Operations to build improved dashboards, reports, and data infrastructure that meets frontline fundraisers’ data needs;
- Assessing and improving grassroots giving incentives, such as membership tiers, and working closely with Development and Communications team to drive list growth and improve acquisition and retention of new grassroots donors;
- Testing and improving giving infrastructure, including donate forms, employee giving data capture, and other giving portals;
- Working with Communications and Program teams to maintain and improve email automations, and engaging our partners at News Revenue Hub in
- Supporting other development functions of a fast-growing team as needs emerge.
This is an outstanding opportunity for an emerging professional who seeks to make an impact in a growing organization and who shares an interest in education, journalism, civic engagement and the issues GroundTruth addresses. Successful candidates will possess:
- 2-3 years of professional work experience in a nonprofit development or marketing role;
- Demonstrated experience in graphic design and development of nonprofit marketing materials;
- Working knowledge of databases and information systems, Salesforce experience is a plus;
- Demonstrated experience in data reporting and analysis, and presentation of high-level findings;
- Background in digital marketing, including web management, social media, and email newsletters;
- Outstanding writing and editing skills, as well as the ability to write on a deadline;
- Excellent attention to detail, especially as it relates to copy editing, deadlines and time management;
- A problem-solving mindset and passion for building things from the ground up;
- A sense of humor, creativity, flexibility and high standards in nonprofit excellence.
The GroundTruth Project is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected status.